Is Chicken Sheesh Kebab Syn Friendly? - Our Syn Guide
If you are ordering a kebab for dinner or maybe you indulged last night, you will need to make sure you synning sheesh kebabs on the slimming world in order to stay on track with your weight loss.
Chicken sheesh kebabs have anywhere between 20-30 syns per kebab, making them very high in syns, we would suggest having them only as the occasional treat on slimming world.
We've composed a short guide below which will take you through why chicken shish kebabs are high in syns, syn values of chicken kebabs, general syn values as well as some low syn alternatives and an SW recipe for making your own at home.
Why Are Chicken Sheesh Kebabs High In Syns?
Chicken sheesh kebabs have between 20-30 syns for one, making them high in syns. This is because chicken shish kebabs are not unhealthy themselves, but the sauce and toppings are often what makes them high in syns, for example, regular mayonnaise has around 4 syns a tablespoon, you could find up to three tablespoons in a pitta which would be 12 syns.
If you choose grilled sheesh kebabs with salad and no sauce, you can save a considerable amount of syns.
Are Chicken Kebabs High In Syns?
Chicken kebabs can have up to 15 syns for a takeaway version and 5.5 syns for homemade or supermarket versions, making them healthier in syns, this is because the pitta bread and sauce are often omitted in kebabs, leaving just the meat and marination, the chicken is often grilled too.
Syn Values Of Chicken Sheesh Kebabs & Chicken Kebabs
Chicken kebabs have a wide range of syns depending on their marination and sauces, to help you stay on track, we've listed their syn values down below.
- Easy Chef 2 Chicken Shish Kebabs 340g - 12 syns.
- Gousto Chicken Shish Kebab with Tomato Bulgur Pilaf & Zingy Salad (Dairy-Free) - 8 syns.
- Tesco Sweet Chilli Chicken Kebabs 160g - 5.5 syns.
- Aldi Ashfield Farm Chicken & Chorizo Kebabs 320g - 5.5 syns.
- M&S Sticky BBQ Chicken Kebabs 100g - 5 syns.
- Humza 15 Chicken Charcoal Seekh Kebabs 750g - 4 syns.
- Tesco Fire Pit Garlic & Herb Chicken Kebabs 260g - 4 syns.
- Morrisons Chicken Tikka Kebabs 64g - 6 syns.
- Asda Katsu Chicken Kebabs 140g - 6 syns.
- Sainsbury's Summer Edition 6 Garlic & Herb Chicken Kofta Kebabs 360g - 8 syns.
- Asda Butcher's Selection 4 Smoky Chorizo British Chicken Kebabs 320g - 8 syns.
- Asda 4 Asian Style Chicken Kebabs 140g - 2 syns.
- M&S Eat Well 4 Mini Herbed Chicken Kebabs 140g - 7 syns.
- Co-op Mango & Coconut Chicken Kebabs 130g - 5 syns.
Low Syn Alternatives To Chicken Sheesh Kebabs
If you find chicken shish kebabs and chicken kebabs to be too high in syns, we've got some great low syn alternatives for you to check out below.
- Aldi Ashfield Farm Minted Lamb Kebabs 320g - 7 syns.
- Tesco 10 Minted New Zealand Lamb Kebabs 400g - 7.5 syns.
- Morrisons Global Grill 4 Lamb Kofta Kebabs 0.320kg - 13.5 syns.
- M&S The Grill 4 Lamb Shish Kebabs 300g - 8.5 syns.
- Tesco Fire Pit 10 Sweet & Smoky BBQ Beef Kebabs 400g - 4 syns.
- Sainsbury's Summer Edition 6 Lamb & Mint Kebabs 360g - 6 syns.
- Aldi Ashfields Grill 4 Hickory BBQ Beef Kebabs 400g - 8 syns.
- Asda Butcher's Selection 8 Chilli & Coriander Lamb Kebabs - 11 syns.
- Aisha's Lamb Seekh Kebabs 600g - 14 syns.
- Aldi Ashfields Grill 4 Ancho Chilli Beef Kebabs 400g - 9 syns.
- Aldi Ashfield Farm BBQ Pork Kebabs 366g - 8 syns.
- Tesco Wicked Kitchen 4 Vegan Chilli & Lime Kebabs 350g - 11 syns.
- Aldi Ashfield Farm 5% Fat BBQ Beef Kebabs 320g - 7.5 syns.
- Aldi Ashfields Grill Sticky Oriental Style Pork Kebabs 366g - 5 syns.
- ASDA Tasty 8 Minted Lamb Kebabs 440g - 12.5 syns.
Our Best SW Chicken Kebab Recipe
If you are a lover of chicken kebabs but a hater of the syns, we've got a great SW friendly chicken kebab recipe for you to check out below which is SYN FREE if you use the pitta bread as your healthy extra B.
- 8 boneless chicken thighs with skin removed.
- Three spoons of tikka curry powder.
- Three garlic cloves crushed.
- 250g of fat-free plain Greek yoghurt.
- Four wholemeal pitta bread.
- Lemon wedges.
- To begin, start by putting your chicken in a plastic bag with the garlic, Greek yoghurt and curry powder, season well then leave it in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes to an hour, the longer you leave it the better the flavour.
- Next, heat your grill to high, thread the chicken on skewers and bake for 12 minutes, turning halfway through.
- While your chicken is grilling you can move on to making your salad. Cut cucumber, three celery sticks, and 150g of radishes then shred up some gem lettuce. Mix with 100g of Greek yoghurt and a pinch of coriander.
- Toast the pittas and serve them all together!
Overall, Chicken shish kebabs can have anything between 20-30 syns if you get them takeaway, this is because kebab shops often load the kebab with sauces with sauces such as mayonnaise which is already very high in syns.
To save syns, we recommend asking for a kebab without sauce, having them without the pitta bread or simply making your own syn free version at home!