The Best Slimming World Sides For Quiche
Quiche is a perfect dish for those who want a hearty and filling meal, these egg dishes are typically served with a salad or chips, but some of these are not slimming world friendly.
Some slimming world alternatives for this classic comfort food could be wholemeal bread or soup, but you need to ensure that a simple meal still fits in your slimming world allowance.
We have put together some healthy alternative slimming world side dishes you could serve with your type of quiche below, as well as a couple of ideas for some slimming world quiche recipes you can try at home below.
What Is Quiche Served With?
Many people enjoy a cheese quiche or veggie quiche on its own as a decadent dish for lunch or a delightful dish for dinner, it can also be served with a side however, this could be from salad to even soup or just some nice fruit juices.
We have listed out some regular complimentary side dishes which are typically served with a quiche below.
- Classic soup options such as chicken soup.
- Bread with butter.
- A choice of veggies such as baby greens or roasted veg.
- Fresh fruit salad.
- Juice or even a black coffee.
Now, for us slimming world people, some of the above can be used a dish pairs with our SP quiche, but chips and bread need to be substituted as white bread is not allowed.
Slimming World Alternatives To Eat With Quiche
If you still want that crusty bread with your cheese quiche dish, don't worry as they are many side dish options out there that are slimming world friendly and can be paired with your dish recipe.
We have listed some great slimming world friendly sides you can enjoy with your quiche below.
A Slimming World Salad
Making a simple slimming world friendly salad would pair nicely with a meaty quiche or a basic cheese quiche, just be careful on the creamy dressing or greek dressing as this could put you over the top with your SP allowance. You could also make a bowl of fruit salad with your favourite choice of fruits as a simple side dish.
One great slimming world refreshing salad to try is a Tuna Nicoise salad which is only half a syn per serving, we have bullet pointed the recipe details below.
- Green beans 200 g.
- Two little gem lettuces.
- 100 g of red/yellow cherry tomatoes.
- One red onion.
- Two cans of tuna.
- Four boiled eggs.
- Four tablespoons of fat-free vinegar.
- One tsp of honey.
- One tbsp of mustard wholegrain.
- Juice of a lemon.
- Step One - Start by blanching green beans in salted water for two minutes, combine with the lettuce, tomatoes and onion in a bowl.
- Step Two - Break tuna up and add to salad with boiled egg halves.
- Step Three - Whisk the dressing together then pour-over.
Slimming World Tomato Soup
One way to bulk up your dishes for quiche is by having it with a chunkier tomato soup or a creamy mushroom soup, however, on the SP diet, we want to avoid cream when we can.
So, we have put together a simple and healthy SP classic tomato soup recipe you can have with your quiche below which is SYN free!
- One onion.
- Two carrots.
- Two garlic cloves.
- One red pepper.
- One tbsp of tomato puree.
- 900 g of tomatoes.
- 500 g of passata.
- 1.2 litres of veg stock.
- Three celery sticks.
- Fresh basil leaves torn.
- One red pepper.
- 400 g of chopped tomatoes.
- Step One - Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic into a big pan then pour over the stock and bring to boil, let it simmer for twenty minutes.
- Step Two - Now put in your fresh tomatoes, puree, passata, red pepper, canned tomatoes and simmer for a further ten minutes.
- Step Three - Sprinkle your chopped basil in then blend until smooth.
Sweet Potato Slimming World Chips
If your that kind of person who likes to have their quiche with some chips, then you would probably be disappointed to know that your standard white potato ones are not SP friendly, even as baked potatoes.
However, not all is lost, as we have some SYN free sweet potato fries you can pair with your dinner dish below which are super easy to make for dinner time!
- Four sweet potatoes.
- Low cal spray for cooking.
- Step One - Make sure your oven is preheated to gas mark 6 while you cut the sweet potato chips.
- Step Two - Arrange the sweet potato fries into one layer on your baking dish and spray them with your low-calorie cooking spray.
- Step Three - Pop them in the oven for 45 minutes and turn halfway to ensure they have been cooked evenly.
Crusty Slimming World Bread
Bread and quiche is a desirable combination if you are looking to have a satisfying meal with a meaty quiche, however normal white bread is a big no-no on the SP diet, luckily, wholemeal bread is okay to have, and matter of fact counts as one of your healthy B's as it gives you the important fibre you need.
Even though you can buy wholemeal bread from nearly any supermarket, it's much nicer to make your own SP friendly garlic cheese bread which would be a great pair with quiche or even as bread for sandwiches.
- 110 g of oats (rolled is best).
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- 2 cloves of garlic diced.
- 50g of cheddar.
- 50g of mozzarella.
- 100g of fat-free greek yoghurt.
- 1 large egg.
- A teaspoon of salt.
- Step One - Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 then blend the oats up to a flour consistency.
- Step Two - Combine the oat flour in a bowl with the yoghurt, salt, baking powder and eggs.
- Step Three - Line a baking dish, spray with the low-calorie spray then pop it in the oven for 40 minutes until baked through all the way, you can check this by putting in a knife in the centre.
- Step Four - While the bread is cooling add the cheese and garlic to a bowl and combine it with your hands. Increase the oven temperature to gas mark 6 too.
- Step Five - Cut small slits in the bread, season inside then put the cheese mixture in, pop it back in the oven for another ten minutes then voila, you have your SP friendly garlic bread!
If you are not keen on salad and want to serve you quiche with some fuss-free cooking, then try simply roasting some veggies along the side.
We don't have a specific recipe for this, but some great complimentary veggies you could try roasting are; asparagus, carrots, bell pepper and sweet potatoes, season with your favourite herbs and spices and spray with some low cal cooking spray then your good to go!
Quiche Dish Recipes Ideas (Slimming World Friendly)
Now you know some great slimming world side dishes you can pair your quiche with for a hearty dinner, it might be worth checking out some slimming world friendly recipes for quiches themselves, as a decadent dish like a quiche can be quite unhealthy depending on the quiche fillings.
We have listed two of our favourite SP friendly quiche recipes with healthy quiche fillings for you to try out at home below, whether you have the versatile dish for dinner or lunch.
Slimming World Red Onion & Courgette Quiche
First up we have the SP red onion and courgette quiche, this recipe is SYN free, allowing you to pair it with any type of bread if you have some syns left (even with garlic herb butter).
- One chilli.
- Two courgettes.
- 100g of cottage cheese.
- Two red onions.
- 5-6 eggs.
- One tsp of dried herbs.
- Low cal cooking spray.
- Step One - Preheat the oven to gas mark four then grate the courgettes into a sieve, press down on them to release liquid over a sink.
- Step Two - Spray your baking dish of choice, should be 20cm rounded and shallow then set aside for later.
- Step Three - Fry the onion, courgettes and chilli over light heat for ten minutes then transfer to the sprayed baking dish, put the cottage cheese over the top, whisk the eggs in a bowl then put this over the cottage cheese.
- Step Four - Bake in the oven for thirty minutes then let it rest before cutting into wedges and serving with your slimming world friendly fancy dish, you can also have this dish for breakfast cold on the way to work!
Bacon & Mushroom Crustless Slimming World Quiche
This bacon and mushroom crustless quiche is automatically a lot healthier than a regular quiche as it doesn't have a crust like the above, it is also SYN free per serving and this recipe below serves two, making it one of the best dishes for quiche which are healthy.
- 200g of bacon cut in squares.
- Low-cal cooking spray.
- 100g of mushrooms.
- Two cloves of garlic.
- 50g of reduced-fat shredded cheese.
- One tablespoon of parsley.
- Cherry tomatoes halved.
- 150g of cottage cheese.
- Three large eggs.
- Step One - Remove fat from the bacon and fry along with the mushrooms and garlic, season with salt and pepper.
- Step Two - Preheat your oven to gas mark five then put the mixture above into your baking dish.
- Step Three - Mix together the cottage cheese and eggs with the parsley and cheese too then pour this over the bacon mushroom mix in the baking dishes for quiche.
- Step Four - Top with your tomatoes and bake for 20 minutes or more until the quiche is set through and does not wiggle anymore, serve with cold soup or hot and some crusty bread!
How To Make Your Quiche Healthier
If you want to try and make your healthy quiche for family recipes, then there are some easy ingredients swaps you can make that will still give you a delicious combination of flavours without so many calories and fat.
We have listed a few traditional quiche ingredients and their healthy alternatives below.
- Go for no crust or a healthy crust - There is a huge variety of slimming world friendly crustless varieties of quiche types to choose from, having no crust on your quiche makes these varieties of quiche much healthier. You could additionally try making your crust with wholemeal bread crumbs or flour which will be healthier.
- Use your veggies - Fresh vegetables in a filling of quiche rather than too much cheese or meat can make this meal a fabulous breakfast food, not just a dinner quiche as it will be full of protein from the eggs and nutrition from the veggies. Whether you use varieties of quiche fillings veggies such as carrots or potatoes or just onion, this can bulk up your quiche and make it taste better, also try experimenting with herbs for more flavour such as a basil quiche.
- Swap the cream for cottage cheese - Fresh cream has a large number of calories in quiches, you can swap this ingredient for some egg whites or cottage cheese instead which should give it that same tasty and creamy texture without it being too much of a chewy texture, this served with a classic fruit salad would be a healthy and nutritious meal.
To conclude, quiches can be eaten with a variety of slimming world friendly side dishes, just making some simple swaps for sweet potatoes instead of regular and citrus fruits salad instead of bread can make a huge difference to how healthy your meal is.
We suggest having some food fun and trying out the slimming world quiche recipes above too which are crustless and much healthier than a regular quiche.