We all have those days when cooking lunch or any other meal seems like a nightmare but since the family still needs to eat, you start searching for a quick dish to get done with. I happened to be having one of those days when I came across this slimming world bacon and mushroom recipe. It's a one-pot dish that is extra easy to make and taste delicious, too. if you haven't noticed yet i love anything with bacon or just meat in general.
Depending on how psyched i am, i either use store-bought filo sheets or make my pastry. They both taste amazing, so it's up to you. If you choose to use store-bought filo sheets, layer each sheet with egg for a more pastry feel. However, i belong to the category of pastry makers hence the recipe below.
What do i serve with bacon and mushroom quiche?
Since the meal is vegetables and meat, you can eat it on its own for brunch alongside a cocktail/mocktail. If I have it for dinner/lunch, i either serve it with fries, home-baked potatoes, or a fresh vegetable salad depending on where i am at with my calorie goal for the week. Its best served hot but tastes just as good cold.
If you are trying the high level slimming recipes and want to avoid the extra weight gain brought by wheat, you can opt for the bacon and mushroom crustless recipe, which is the same as the one below but without the pastry. For this method, you will have to line at least one filo sheet and serve with a filling side dish.
- Six slices of bacon
- Two white onions, finely chopped
- 80g reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- non-calorie cooking spray
- Two spoons of garlic, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1cm pieces 110g mushrooms sliced
- Three eggs
- 2 cups of milk/heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- filo sheets
- 1 cup of flour
- softened butter
- Two spoons of pepper and salt
- fresh parsley
Method of preparation
- Sift your flour into a kneading bowl, mix it with the melted butter, salt, eggs, cold water, then add a bit of olive oil. Knead the mixture until you get the right consistency and leave it to rest for a few minutes.
- Line your pastry on the flan dish and spread it with your hand until every inch is covered. Make sure you press it with your fingers to get rid of any air bubbles.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, fan 6
- Get your bacon and cut into 1cm pieces after removing the excess fat
- Grab a non-stick pan and throw in your chopped bacon pieces with a sprinkle of the non-calorie cooking spray. Fry them for 4 minutes or until they turn a crispy brown
- Take out the bacon and place them on the kitchen paper to soak up the extra oil. Reduce the remain bacon residue oil, but leave some for the step below.
- Throw in your 1cm pieces 110g mushrooms into the lightly oiled pan. After the mushrooms start to brown, add your chopped onions and cook until translucent before you add garlic and parsley then followed by your bacon.
- Create a mixture of shredded 80g reduced-fat cheddar cheese, heavy cream. egg, Salt and ham(optional).Then add it into the bacon and mushroom crustless mixture.
- When your filling forms a smooth mixture, pour it in the pastry you had made earlier, then sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese and some extra bacon if you want.
- Assuming you already preheat the oven and set the gas fan at 6, bake your quiche for about 40 minutes or until you achieve a beautiful crusty golden color.
- Remember to dip a spoon to confirm if the inside is also cooked before you switch off the oven and fan. If it is, then your food is ready. Serve the quiche for either lunch, dinner, or breakfast.
1. You can use cottage cheese or parmesan depending on what you prefer, and the result will almost be the same.
2. Filo sheets are better if you are in the white category of weight watchers
3. Get more easy to follow recipes on our website here
4.Grab some apples and cut into 1cm pieces and serve alongside this quiche for extra flour