Our Filling Low-Calorie Meal Ideas To Keep You Satisfied
Low-calorie meals can often leave us feeling bored and unsatisfied with our food, making it hard to stay on track and not lean towards a takeaway on a Saturday night.
You might also be stuck for ideas on how to make your healthy meals more interesting and filling, so we have put together a list of the best tasting low-calorie meals below to give you some seriously tasty and healthy cooking inspo!
Under 300 Calories
- Coconut prawn curry with cauliflower ‘rice’ – Currys are a great weekly dinner to include in your diet but can become highly calorific when eaten with normal rice, that’s why this healthy recipe is a great alternative as it uses cauliflower rice, meaning the curry only has 281 calories per serving.
- Vegetarian olive wraps with a mustard dressing – Wraps are a very versatile low-calorie meal which can be had for lunch or dinner, having 281 calories per wrap.
- Shakshuka – Shakshuka is perfect for using leftover veggies in your fridge and is a fantastic vegetarian meal that’s low in calories yet tasty at 154 calories per serving.
- Pizza lasagna rolls – Pizza?! Lasanga?! Let’s say no more, and they only have 232 calories per roll.
- Chicken and broccoli stir fry – Stir-frys are not only a great way to get all your veg in, but they are also super easy and quick to make, with this recipe, in particular, coming in at 256 calories per serving.
Under 400 Calories
- Cheesy Twice-Baked Potato & Broccoli Casserole – Anything with cheese and potato is up our street, with this twice-baked cheesy heaven only having 312 calories per serving.
- Thai fish cakes – If you are a lover of oriental food then these Thai fish cakes with lime leaves and a spicy Thai salad could be a great weekly meal that’s low in calories yet exciting at 354 calories per serving.
- Creamy mushroom chicken – Creamy dishes can often be very high in calories, however, this creamy mushroom chicken uses half fat creme fraiche for a tasty yet light finish at 391 calories per serving.
- Vegetarian Bolognese – You can’t go wrong with a good spag bowl, and this vegetarian version does not disappoint at 353 calories per serving.
- Korean Barbecue Pizza – Compared to a normal pizza, this Korean barbecue pizza is not only different but very low in calories, having only 351 calories for each serving.
Under 500 Calories
- Salsa-Black Bean Burgers – If you are after a Mexican themed dinner then you can check out these burgers which come in at just 404 calories per burger.
- Pulled Pork with Peppered Vinegar Sauce – For something different you could try this pulled pork dish with a spicy vinegar finish to spice up a boring Monday, coming in at 424 calories per serving.
- Meatballs with fennel & balsamic beans & courgette noodles – Everyone loves a good meatball, so why not try serving them with lighter courgette noodle, meaning this dish only has 380 calories per serving.
- Mexican bean soup with guacamole – A lighter yet filling option is this Mexican bean soup, which has only 391 calories per serving.
- Spinach, sweet potato & lentil dhal – All curry lovers will enjoy this filling yet healthy sweet potato lentil curry, which has important greens such as spinach at only 397 calories per serving.
Tips To Stay On Track With Your Diet
Following a low-calorie diet plan can be easy as long as you are eating satisfying and delicious meals, but sometimes eating out or stress can get in the way, and affect the way that we eat.
We have put together a couple of tips to help you stay on track and feel your best.
- Keep hydrated always before and after meals – Sometimes our body can mistake dehydration for hunger which can cause us to eat when it’s not needed, make sure to drink at least around 8 glasses of water per day or more if you live in a humid climate or exercise.
- Try a 7 pm cut off – Eating too late can cause us to not digest our food properly which can inevitably lead to unwanted weight gain, instead opt for a more filling meal around 6-7 pm and try not to snack afterwards.
- Make sure your meal has some protein – Protein is much more filling than carbohydrates or fats and will keep you fuller for longer after you eat. Vegetarians can make sure their meal includes some food such as beans or lentils too.
- Get a good amount of sleep – Not getting enough sleep can not only make you feel rubbish but also reduce the hormone called leptin which is your body’s indicator to help you know when you are full.
- Limit alcohol – Alcohol is one of the sneakiest ways you can get excess calories in your diet, for example, a glass of wine can contain around 100 calories, so two or three at mealtime could be the equivalent to a low-calorie dinner.
- Have balance – Not allowing yourself to indulge now and then in some chocolate or your favourite food will cause you to feel restricted, this can result in you binge eating or overeating at mealtimes.
We hope you’ve enjoyed the list of our best evening low-calorie filling and healthy meals that will keep you on track with your diet and help you achieve your health and weight loss goals.
Let us know below if you’ve tried any of these recipes below or if you have any low-calorie meal ideas to share.