Do Meringues Nests Have a Lot Of Syns?
Meringue nests make a lovely weekday dessert paired with some fresh strawberries or yoghurt, they can also be used in lots of delicious recipes from Eton mess to even a meringue pie.
These nests have around 2.5 syns per one, which means you can enjoy them on the slimming world diet and have up to 6 a day if you wish assuming your syn allowance is 15.
To find out some alternatives to meringue nests that can meet your sugar cravings on the slimming world plan, as well as great recipes for making your own low syn homemade meringue, we've composed a small guide below with everything you need to know.
Can I Eat Meringues On The Slimming World Diet?
It is possible to eat meringue nests on the slimming world diet as long as you keep track of the syns you are having per nest, average-sized meringues tend to have around 2.5 syns a nest, while mini ones may only have 1 syn per nest.
To be more accurate, find out the calories your specific meringue nest has and count them as one syn per 20 calories, this will give you the total syn value of the meringue.
Low Syn Dessert Alternatives For Slimming World & Popular Meringues Compared
If you are looking for other low syn alternatives to spice up your desserts, we have listed a few more slimming world friendly options below which can be paired with fresh strawberries and other fruits.
Popular Meringues Compared
- Tesco - Tesco finest meringues have - 2.5 syns each.
- Asda - Extra Special Meringue Nests, 8 pack, 14g - 3 syns each.
- Sainsbury's - Sainsbury's 8 pack of meringue nests - 2.5 syns each.
Low Syn Dessert Alternatives
- Muller lights - Muller light yoghurts in most flavours have a syn value of 0.5 and can be topped with fresh strawberries to bulk up the volume.
- Rolo dessert - Rolo dessert and many other fat-free yoghurts are great desserts to have in the slimming world plan, rolo yoghurts, in particular, have a syn value of 8.5 syns for a 7.5g pot.
- Quark - Quark or any fat-free yoghurt is a game-changer for slimming world desserts, you can flavour these yoghurts as you wish with hot chocolate sachets and other toppings such as meringue mixture then pair them with strawberry slices on top.
- Hartley Jelly Pots - These sugar-free jelly pots can be paired with loads of strawberries or even strawberry yoghurt, with the no sugar pot coming in at 125g, they are only 0.5 syns each!
- Fibre one bars - Coming in at around 4 syns each, these bars taste like brownies and can even be heated to make them more dessert-like, topped with fresh strawberries.
Slimming World Friendly Meringue Dessert Recipes
Now you know some other great low syn desserts to try out during the week which will fix your sweet tooth, we have put together some homemade meringue desserts you can try making at home below.
Eton Mess Strawberry Mix Kisses
If you like meringue and strawberries, then these kisses will be for you, with a strong natural sugar flavour and small size, they only have around 7.5 syns per serving, with the recipe making 4 servings and 16 kisses.
- 17 mini meringues.
- 10 strawberries.
- 80g of fat-free thick strawberry yoghurt.
- First of all, blend most of the strawberries to make a strawberry puree mixture leaving a couple remaining to slice on top.
- Spread a layer of your strawberry yoghurt, a teaspoon of the pureed strawberries jam-like blend you have made and meringues, top with ice cream or the rest of your fresh strawberries which have been sliced.
Lemon Meringue Slimming World Pie
For people who want to get more hands-on with their cooking bowl in the kitchen, this lemon meringue pie is probably for you, and it is SYN FREE, yes, free!
Recipe details below!
- 350 grams of quark.
- 3 eggs that have been separated.
- 4/5 tablespoons of sweetener.
- 1 lemon rind and juice.
- Heat your oven to around gas mark 3/4 then grab your cooking bowl and beat in the quark, lemon juice and rind, half of the sweetener and egg yolks.
- Divide the mixture into small separate bowls then place in the oven for around 10 minutes.
- Whisk the egg whites up in another cooking bowl till they form stiff peaks the add in the other half of the sweetener, top the bowls after they have been in the oven for 10 minutes then place back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Serve chilled with fresh strawberries, pureed strawberries or even low fat strawberry mousse.
Overall, meringues are typically low in syns at just 2.5 syns for a nest and can be enjoyed on the slimming world diet within moderation, whether you make your syn free pie or homemade Eton mess with fresh strawberries, there is no guilt involved.